Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Reclaiming the Pillows

I have been doing a lot of sewing of pillows lately and thought I would show a few projects and speak of how to reclaim your pillows.

 


Pillows are an easy and inexpensive way to update a room. They are so easy to sew. This is a picture of pillows I made for the living room a while back. You can use neutral pieces of furniture and change pillow covers during seasons or holiday., if you have pillow covers that are removeable, this is a really inexpensive update.

I use an evelop closure for pillows that are not used very often such as the Euro pillows for my bed. These are the easiest to make. Here is picture of the back.


I made a flange on the edges to give it a custom look.

If it is a pillow I use alot such as couch pillows, I used covers with invisible zippers. These can be sewn with cording, edging, or fringe to give it a custom look.


If you look closely, you can see the invisible zipper.

I also will use an invisible zipper for just plain seams.


The possibilities are endless. Go to a large fabric store such as Lewis and Sharon, Forsyth Fabrics, or Calico Corners. These can be made with a yard of material. I buy my pillow forms from www.fabric.com. I can get feather inserts for about $10 - $15. They are located in Atlanta and I can get them within 1-2 days. I see these pillows on discount at Joss and Main for $35 - $200.  Even with fabric that is $50 a yard, that is only $60 a pillow.

If this overwhems you, just RUN to the closest TJ Maxx or Home Goods. I found these for $15 to $20 each and put them on my porch. They have invisible zippers so if I get tired of them, I still have the feather pillow insert to reuse.


I am currently finishing the pillows in my master bedroom for the redo. I can't wait to show the after pictures when finished.

Sewing is becoming a lost art. Even if you don't sew and get someone who does this professionally, they too are rare. Please find sewing classes and take them. Get a sewing machine and get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment