Monday, July 22, 2013

Reclaiming the Bed Risers

I love an elevated bed. I think it looks more elegant but the biggest reason is storage. This is where I store luggage. It's so easy to reach under the bed, grab the luggage, throw it on the bed and start packing.

I don't like bed risers. They are so ugly, stick out (where we all stump our toes), and look cheap. I recently bought an new bed frame. It was standard height and we had an elevated rice bed before and we felt we were laying on the floor. Even my husband said he felt he was in the wrong house.

I bought the standard bed risers from Wal-Mart.


I hated the look and the way they were visible and stuck out under the bed skirt. It cheapened the look I was going for. I got online to find something else but couldn't find anything that looked like a furniture leg.

I went to Home Depot. The furniture feet in their millwork section were not tall enough. I went to the deck section and found a post topper that was the right height. If I turned it upside down, it was perfect. One hitch: How do I make it work. Well I presented the problem to my husband. As always, if it can be done, he will find a way. And he did. I am posting how to make your bed risers look like furniture legs for as little as $15.

First we started with the feet that came with the frame:



Then he added a piece of wood on the inside and drilled a hole in it to match the screw on the deck post topper:


This is the deck post topper:


You can find it at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/WeatherShield-4-in-x-4-in-Pressure-Treated-Unfinished-Pine-Ball-Top-Finial-102615/100051746#.Ue29rLzD-Cg for $3.27 each.

We screwed them in an thought it was still not stable enough so he screwed in 4 more screws from the top:


 Then, I painted them to match my other furniture and installed them:


Now look at my finished product:



Exactly what I wanted. I am finishing the bedroom and will post more pictures later.

Happy Reclaiming!

14 comments:

  1. Okay, I've been searching forever... I want to do this for our bed, but these are only 4"?
    I'm considering just going to Home Depot tomorrow and browsing around for something that could work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they are 4 inches. If you are looking for 3 inch, there are furniture feet located in the millwood section. You can see how I used these on my master bedroom furniture. Just look at that post. These are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used these for an antique queen anne style table that had the old castor wheels. They were about all I could find at the time that didn't really conflict with the style - but they were never 'quite' right. Replacing with a more slender bun foot - but I think I'll take the post toppers and use on a bed frame I have that sits low to the ground! Thanks for the GREAT idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested in trying this for some upholstered chairs I bought as accent dining chairs. I've been searching for hours on how to bring up their height on the legs to match the other dining chairs, and came up with some options that just didn't tickle my fancy. I'm so glad I found this on Pinterest! I'm going to Home Depot to see which ones might work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness aren't you clever. I hate the ugly plastic ones but have them in our guest room so I can use the space under the bed. Totally going to change them out!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see this post was almost 3 years ago. Are they still working and sturdy as bed risers??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I painted the base of the table and legs in my favorite white: a 50/50 mix of General Finishes Snow White and Antique White. demir leather

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious if anyone that has done this, has it held up??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm curious if anyone that has done this, has it held up??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are these very sturdy? Have they held up well?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! If your bed frame has wheels instead of these legs you can buy the legs and swap your frame wheels out. Remember, if you have a frame that is larger then a twin generally you'll have legs under the middle of the bed as well, so you may need more than 4 replacement legs. Go to Walmart website and type in: JSP Manufacturing Black Plastic 3-5/8" Bed Frame Feet Glide Legs - 6 Pack - in the search field.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pressure treated wood is not meant for inside a home. It is filled with poisonous chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have the leg additions held up the bed? The cone bed risers did not work on our guest room bed because the bed kept falling off of the risers.

    ReplyDelete