Friday, July 19, 2013

Reclaiming the 1950's Vanity with Chalk Paint

At a flea market, I came across this 1950's vanity. What is so unique about it is the bench is still intact. We find these everywhere but few still have the seat. My friend had just bought a new house and needed a piece for her 12 year old daughter's room. I sent her a picture and she wanted me to pick it up for just $100. It was in great shape. I painted it with chalk paint which I made (so recipe below), distressed it with sand paper and sealed with wax. After a year, she still has so many people be in awe of the piece. I love it.

After picture:



Before picture:

 
This was just the piece for her room. I love the fabric! Her daughter picked it out after I took her to Atlanta to Forsyth Fabrics and Lewis and Sharon Textiles. We had a blast that day. She picked out all her fabrics and helped me do everything from the painting, sanding and sewing. I will soon post pictures of her entire room. It looks just like a tween room.
 
Chalk paint recipe:
 
2 cups paint (I use Behr with primer in eggshell from Home Depot)
1/3 cup Plaster of Paris
2 Tbsp water
 
Mix well and apply with sponge brush. It may take a few coats but sanding is much easier and it sticks so well that I don't ever sand before application regardless of the original finish. I have tried different brushes but I feel the cheap sponge brush is the best.
 
You can glaze it at this point if you like.
 
Seal with Paste wax from minwax found in the stain section at Home Depot.
 
I will be posting other furniture reclaims I've done over the past year. I would love to see your pictures too.
 
Happy Reclaiming!

No comments:

Post a Comment